Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Chinese Bakery Birthday Cake [#2] and Cabled Scarf Update ●︿●

Gosh! I've been so busy with school lately that I haven't done anything!


I've managed to find time to back a birthday cake though~ I used a sponge cake mix I found from the Asian market that I shop at. It was a bit hard so I just used the 99 cent cake mix by Country Value.

I made the frosting from scratch so it wouldn't be sweet and cut up the kiwis myself!

(The recipe is down below)




How do you think I did?  ‎(>﹏<)


Update on the scarf:

I had to take apart my scarf because it was too thin ┐('~`;)┌ but here's the new one~


I had to add about 18 stitches. :DD
Here's the recipe for the cake frosting from http://myediblememories.net/:

Ingredients:
2 tbsp cold water
1 tsp unflavored gelatin
2 cups (1 pint) of chilled heavy cream
1 tsp vanilla
2.5 tbsp of confectioner’s sugar
Directions:
1. Soak gelatin powder in the cold water for 5 minutes to let it absorb the water.
2. Dissolve gelatin by placing it in a bowl over a small pot of simmering water and stirring until clear. Let cool but do not let it get cold.
3. Meanwhile, use an electric standing or hand-held mixer to beat heavy cream in a large well-chilled bowl. (I like to throw my beaters and bowl into the freezer for a few minutes before beating the cream to make sure everything is super cold. I also prepare a bath of ice and cold water to put my chilled bowl into while I’m beating the cream so that everything stays nice and cold. These steps are crucial to making good whipped cream.
- Beat cream on low speed until small bubbles form (about 30 seconds)
- Increase speed to medium and beat until beaters leave a trail in the cream (about 30 seconds)
- Increase speed to high, moving beaters around bowl. Beat until just before it becomes soft and billowy.
- Slowly add sugar and vanilla at the sides of the bowl while continuing to whip until it is barely stiff.
- Add the melted but cooled gelatin all at once while beating, until cream becomes thicker and drier.
4. Use immediately for frosting or refrigerate for later use.


NOTE: I skipped the gelatin because last time I used it I feel like it just made the frosting "melty" and heavy.

No comments:

Post a Comment